Pins and needles

9:30 am.  At some point today, a group of people (editors/managers) at a major publishing house will decide whether to publish Rhetorical Activists and Activist Rhetoricians, an edited collection my comrade Jonghwa and I have been working on for 5 years.

Another publisher has offered us a contract already, so it WILL be published at some point soon.  We are hoping for this particular contract today or tomorrow, though, because the publisher has a strong presence on both of the fields represented in the text (English and Communication). 

All the way through graduate school, my friend Tobi tried to coach me to deal with moments like these; she’s much better than I am at dealing with the times when a decision is no longer in her hands, when there’s nothing else she can do or say.  I’m not a control freak, but neither am I comfortable with situations that are entirely out of my hands. 

In the meantime, I still have two more classes to teach.  The first went well this morning, so I’m obviously not too distracted to concentrate.  I’d be really upset if I couldn’t concentrate on my teaching because of my scholarship; that would make me exactly the person I claimed not to be in my “Back to teaching 4/4” post from a few weeks ago. 

But it’s a nervous time nonetheless.  Hope to have an answer soon. 

pant pant pant…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: