From the AP wire this morning… In an appearance on Larry King’s show, Laura Bush has this to say about how the Democratic candidates are talking about her husband:
<“He takes a huge pounding from the other candidates, not all of them, not my candidate, John McCain, but I think that is — that’s demoralizing to me,” Laura Bush said.>
Maybe I’m just feeling feisty on this beautiful spring day, but let’s just say it’s hard for me to feel bad for the First Lady that her husband is getting some flak (not nearly enough in my opinion) during the campaign season. Here’s why–
1. He deserves it. He’s done a horrible job as President. I can’t think of a single thing he’s done right in almost 8 years which, given his history as a total failure at everything except being a drunk, comes as no surprise. He ran successful oil companies into the ground, harmed the Texas Rangers baseball franchise so badly that it still hasn’t recovered, barely graduated from college, couldn’t fulfill his obligation to the National Guard, etc. If you’ve been paying attention for all these years, you know the litany.
2. In light of how horrible he’s made the lives of millions of other people, some criticism is, um, a drop in the bucket compared to the impeachment and imprisonment he deserves. More than 100, 000 Iraqis are dead because of George W. Bush, and millions of others have seen their lives virtually (and in many cases literally) ruined because of his policies. In the US, his economic policies have devastated the economy; his environmental policy has allowed environmental degradation to continue unabated (and I’m not even talking about global warming); he’s overseen the utter failure to rebuild any part of New Orleans that doesn’t turn a profit for rich people.
3. C’mon. Bill Clinton got impeached for less. Hell, so did Richard Nixon.
4. What the Republican First Lady thinks about Democratic candidates shouldn’t mean jack sh*t to anybody. She’s not voting Democratic anyway, so who cares?
5. Her husband and his party were the beneficiaries of the most brutal campaign attacks in the history of American politics, courtesy of the Karl Rove/Lee Atwater gang. Those goons didn’t just lose elections for Democratic candidates; they destroyed some lives. And let’s not forget that one of those careers they very nearly destroyed was Senator John McCain’s.
If this sounds harsh, it’s supposed to. It should sound harsher, but I’m generally a nice person. George W. Bush deserves to spend the rest of his life in a prison cell for the horrors he’s wrought on the world during his regime; some snappish rhetoric on the campaign trail shouldn’t be much of an issue to him and his family when he rides off into the sunset without getting his due.